Here's an example of a very good critique:
Recently I got a new manager and I'll have one on one meeting with him mid of January. This is for the preparation for the meeting. I want to give him a good impression, so I'd appreciate it if you could give me advice!
Just to explain the background:
- I am working for a publisher. Our head office is in the US.
- The manager is based in Singapore, so I haven't met him face to face yet.
- I report to a direct supervisor in Japan, so the new manager doesn't know the details of what I am in charge of or how I am doing so far.
- In the meeting, I am going to introduce myself and explain what I do. also, I'd like to ask him something. He said this is going to be just an informal meeting to get to know each other, but I want to make sure if I am using proper words or expression.
- This year I am struggling to hit my sales target. We had some issue came up in the market and Japan sales team is having a hard time. I don't want to say negative things to him in a first meeting but I have to tell him our situation.